Bridge at Kensington

Bridge at Kensington

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Storm Sky I


This piece was painted on a summer evening on Belle Isle in the Detroit River after a windy, stormy day. The wind was relentless and seemed to blow straight from the river. I have never painted so fast, chasing clouds, chasing patterns and swirls, chasing colors. I did this piece, and the piece I'll post this coming Thursday, in rapid succession.


It was an interesting evening as well. The group I was painting with attracted numerous visitors. Two friendly Detroit police officers stopped by to check out our work and wish us well. A group of high school graduates stopped to have their picture taken with the Detroit skyline in the background. A man picking through the trash watched from a respectful distance. And a man in a van, who said he was a painter himself, stopped to see what we were doing and tell us about what he was doing.

No comments: