Bridge at Kensington

Bridge at Kensington

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Welcome to A Painting Journey

A Painting Journey is about moving, moving from words and a keyboard to paint and a brush.


This blog is about honoring process. As a writer, I understand what it means to trust the process and surrender to it. Show up, sit your backside in the chair long enough and the work will come. It won’t always be great on the first go, but it will arrive. Making art is the same. The only way to grow as a painter is to push paint around, just as the only way to grow as a writer is to push words around. Consistently. Persistently. Patiently. Passionately.

I’ve worked under deadlines my entire career, yet only lately come to love them. Deadlines make you get things done whether you want to or not. Things happen. Look for two new paintings a week.

Creating limitations is another new love. Fewer colors on my palette, a small canvas, a limited amount of painting time before the outdoor light changes and the impression vanishes. In writing, Haiku is a perfect example of elegance created by limitations.

Writers and painters are observers and interpreters of the world around them. This blog is an opportunity to combine parts of my life that have been separate – words, writing and deadlines with paint, light and the web.

Because I can’t deny the writer in me, I’ll record thoughts in words as well as pa
int. I don’t intend to
wander into hyperbolic art speak metaphor. Hopefully, there will be a good number of my former colleagues – professional writers, journalists and editors – who will be interested enough in my wanderings to subscribe to this blog. I expect they will relish the chance to catch me straying into jargon.

Like a good story, a painting should speak for itself.

2 comments:

Willy said...

I especially like the idea of haiku paintings. In this way you probably can't think about things too much, and the essence of what you want to express comes through. More!

Mme Thomas said...

I love the country graveyard